Wednesday, May 7, 2008

There is something to be said for "hands-on training." Granted we all learn differently, but when we are put in a position that tests our knowledge, the knowledge becomes part of us as an individual. My wife and I recently experienced the loss of an expected child. I've always trusted in the words of Christ through His apostles that "as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive" (New Testament--1 Corinthians 15:22). The depth of my knowledge was nothing compared to the "hands-on" knowledge I have gained after the experience. I know that families are forever. I know that sooner or later, my wife and I will raise this child, whose spirit is now awaiting such a time with God. How can I know these things? Through the Holy Ghost, which brings all things to my remembrance, even the things I knew before coming to this mortal existence, when my own spirit resided with our Father, "the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning" (New Testament--James 1:17).

On another note, what has historically given the Jews and the children of Israel such confidence in the face of adversaries? It has been such knowledge they have obtained through the Holy Ghost. Knowledge such as that God still speaks, He lives, He blesses those that love Him, and He is unchangeable. Also, that the heavens are open, the true doctrine of where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going was known to the Israelites. Such knowledge gave them confidence before their Maker. Their obedience gave them confidence in themselves when approaching God in prayer.

No comments: